Monday, January 18, 2016

Morning Pick up


    Beau and I stayed Saturday night at a roadside motel in Fairbury Nebraska. We arrived in Jansen at 9am Sunday morning to meet the seller. He had told me over the phone that he thought the tires would be good enough to get back to Denver. Well it was a good thing I brought along two new tires because both were in awful condition. We pulled it out of the field next to his barn to inspect. The picture below should speak for itself. Unfortunately, he did not have an air compressor available. So I would have to drive it that way for 6 miles back to Fairbury for air.


    I didn't spend a whole lot of time looking the trailer over as it was what it was, having already purchased it (a quick glance inside confirmed the demolition will proceed). I would do a thorough inspection once I got it home. It was also a good thing I brought one of those temporary magnetic brake light kits. Because the lights didn't work either.


    After getting air in the tires, I decided to try and make it down the road a few miles. It was Sunday, and I wasn't going to find anybody to mount the new tires. Because of their condition, I stuck to the back roads and didn't exceed 45 mph. 
    250 miles later we pulled into Colby Kansas where we will have to take the interstate the remainder of the way. Beau and I ordered a pizza and stayed the night. At 8am Monday morning we were at the local tire dealer getting the tires mounted and bearings packed. We rolled out of Colby at noon, and it was smooth sailing at 75 mph back to Denver. The next day would allow for a more comprehensive assessment. 

A big thank you to Beau for being the best ever non-human road trip partner!

No comments:

Post a Comment